Imagine, six new half-ton trucks with six different engines revving up! What is the best sounding new truck engine in America? We ordered the trucks by engine displacement: smallest to largest. We rev each truck and judge the sound, we measure the dB level of the two best sounding contenders, and finally – rev all six trucks at the same time.
It’s not easy to get six trucks together at the same time, but we did it – just for you. No, not really, we did it for selfish reasons – mainly to have fun.
We pulled together six trucks that are in the process of competing for the 2019 Gold Hitch and Gold Winch awards. These are the annual awards The Fast Lane Truck (TFLtruck) bestows on the best towing and best off-road trucks available in the United States.
While we know there are other trucks out there that should have been involved in this contest, (like the Toyota Tundra) we weren’t able to get one now, but we will be getting one very soon.
The 2019 competitors are:
- Ford F-150 with the 3.5-liter, twin-turbo 375 hp and 470 lbs-ft of torque EcoBoost V6
- Ram 1500 with the 3.6-liter, 305 hp and 269 lbs-ft of torque Pentastar V6
- Ford F-150 with the 5.0-liter 395 hp and 400 lbs-ft of torque Coyote V8
- Nissan Titan with the 5.6-liter 390 hp and 394 lbs-ft of torque Endurance V8
- Ram 1500 with the 5.7-liter, 395 hp and 410 lbs-ft of torque HEMI V8
- GMC Sierra 1500 with the 420 hp and 460 lbs-ft of torque 6.2-liter EcoTec3 V8
All the trucks you see here are completely stock, with stock exhaust systems.
I wish I could say we had a scientific reason to make this video, but we didn’t. We experienced an automotive catharsis, a rush of suppressed auditory desire, the thrill of combustion phonics. Actually, it was simply a case of, “I wonder which one sounds better?”
In this video, you will experience the bliss of over $335,000 worth of trucks, 2,280 horsepower combined, 2,398 lbs feet of combined torque and 29.6-liters of combined displacement – all in one video!
To answer the question that we’re sure is on your lips – YES – this was fun and – NO – we can’t do any “do-overs” for the few trucks that didn’t show up… at least for this year. Although, we potentially can put up the winner of this contest against other trucks in the near future.