The Ram 1500 Outdoorsman is a manly upgrade for people who want outdoor-friendly upgrades for their trucks. Think of it as a rugged look for the Ram to wear with a few goodies outdoor-types would dig. Quad-cab, Crew-cab, two bed lengths and two engines are available for the Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsman package is only available on the 1500 series Ram.
The starting MSRP for the 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman is $34,270
“Ram Truck engineers – many of whom count hunting, fishing, boating and other outdoor pastimes among their hobbies – brought together features that they felt would best meet the practical needs of owners who will frequently use their Ram truck for towing and long, remote trips.
Standard trailer-towing upgrades, interior and exterior convenience and lighting enhancements, off-road-oriented tires and underbody protection are combined with a rugged exterior appearance to highlight the Ram Outdoorsman.
For 2013, the Ram 1500 Outdoorsman is available in a choice of two cab sizes (Quad and Crew) and two bed lengths (5 ft. 7 in. and 6 ft. 4 in.).
Ram Outdoorsman is available in Black, Black Gold Pearl, Bright Silver Metallic, Bright White, Copperhead Pearl, Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl, Flame Red, Maximum Steel Metallic, Mineral Grey Metallic, Prairie Pearl, True Blue Pearl and Western Brown Pearl exterior paint hues
Interior colour choices include Black/Diesel Grey or Canyon Brown/Light Frost. Buyers may opt for vinyl flooring for easier cleanup.” – – Ram Media
The standard engine is a 305 horsepower Pentastar V6 that makes 269-lbs-feet of torque. A 395 hp HEMI V8 is optional and it makes 410 lb-ft of torque. Although the HEMI is the one you want, one cannot deny the efficiency of the V6 as it gets 16 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. The V8 gets 14 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. Both engines are connected to a new eight-speed automatic transmission.
Four-wheel drive versions get slightly less mpgs (by around 1 mpg).
The 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman is unique externally with a two-tone paint with mineral grey metallic lower section (it’s also available in Monotone). Mineral grey painted scratch-resistant steel bumpers with body colored upper front fascia and grille surround with black hex-link inserts. Black door handles and wheel arch lip moldings and unique badges complete the 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman’s look.
“• Standard Class IV receiver hitch properly equips Outdoorsman for towing campers, boats, ATVs and other trailers rated to vehicle’s max
• Available integrated trailer brake controller with driver adjustability and easy-to-see instrument panel readout
• Standard lighted 4- and 7- pin harness plugs – a Ram exclusive — offer multi-trailer adaptability and clean, above-the-bumper covered access any time of the day or night
• Heavy-duty cooling, including mechanical / electrical fan and transmission cooler, for larger loads
• Limited-slip differential for improved off- road and towing performance
• Available trailer-tow mirrors
• Available rear backup camera eases trailer hookups
• Standard trailer-sway control improves towing confidence
• Standard 3.92 axle ratio (4×4 models)
• Extra heavy-duty rear shock absorbers (4×4 models)
• Electronic shift-on-the-fly transfer case (4×4 models)
• Standard 17-inch cast aluminum wheels and 10-ply “LT” tires: light-truck-rated tires handle bigger loads and offer stronger sidewalls to resist punctures when driving over sharp, rocky terrain; on/off-road tread pattern provides traction on all highway and trail surfaces
• Full-sized spare provides more security and functionality than restricted-use spare in the event of a flat
• Tow hooks for retrieving disabled or immobile vehicles, clearing trails
• Higher front air dam and single rear exhaust for higher off-road obstacle clearance
• Mud / slush mats protect front and rear carpets from dirt and moisture
• 32-gallon (121-litre) fuel tank for extended operating range
• Premium cloth front seats with a choice of buckets or a 40/20/40 split bench
• Front centre seat cushion or console storage help organize gear
• Available power 10-way driver seat for comfort on long trips
• Available power lumbar adjust for additional long-trip comfort
• Rear 60 / 40 split folding seat for more flexibility in hauling passengers and cargo
• Available remote start and security group adds alarm system and convenience of a comfortable cabin after a day in the field or on the water
• Standard front suspension and transfer case skid plates on 4×4 models provide protection from off-road damage
• Standard fog lights for improved inclement weather illumination
• Enhanced quad halogen headlamps provide maximum visibility in remote areas
• Available dash-mounted 115-volt auxiliary power outlet to charge batteries and electronic devices without the need for special DC car chargers
• 180-amp alternator
• SiriusXM™ Satellite radio with audio inputs for mobile devices, two power outlets and a USB port
• Available all-new 7-inch vehicle information centre with driver-programmable screens
• Tire pressure monitor” – – Ram Media
• Premium speakers with subwoofer
• RamBox, available on the 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman, is the ultimate place for outdoor enthusiasts to stow their gear; lockable and lit, RamBox frees up interior space for passengers Trailer tow mirrors
• Trailer brake control
• ParkSense rear park-assist system and ParkView rear back-up camera with dynamic gridlines
• Heated front seats
• Heated steering wheel
Check out our fun video featuring the 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn!