The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado is coming on sale in the fall of 2014. It is the first in the line of new midsize pickup trucks. Toyota Tacoma currently dominates the segment, and the Nissan Frontier is the only other competitor. Both of these trucks are getting long in the tooth. Does the new Colorado have what it takes to beat the stalwarts? Or does the tried and true design from the competition still have the upper hand?
Here is the breakdown of the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado. It will be available in three different trim levels: WT, LT, and Z71. All three will be available in 2WD or 4WD. The Z71 is the top of the line and also includes GM’s long lived off-road package. It includes unique 17 inch aluminum wheels, gun metal gray accents as opposed to chrome, and upgraded components that improve off-roadability.
The following features, that GM has introduced into the new Silverado, carry over into the 2015 Colorado:
- Triple-sealed inlaid doors
- EZ lift and lower tailgate
- Standard CornerStep
- Factory Available Spray-in bedliner
The triple-sealed inlaid doors help improve the aerodynamics and create a noticeably quieter cabin. The rest of the features really help increase the utility of the truck by giving owners features that they once had to look to the aftermarket for.
Some key new features are currently specific to the 2015 Colorado
- Tailgate and bed rail protectors that come standard
- 13 standard tie down locations
- Available movable cargo tie down rings
- Two-tier loading system for the bed that cuts the bed into upper and lower sections
These unique and useful options are all equipped to handle work or play, making it much easier to handle loads of various shapes and sizes.
GM focused on the interior and made some key changes in the refinement and comfort of the new Colorado.
- Sculpted inner door panels that assist in entering and exiting the truck
- Large upper instrument panel storage bin and spacious glove box, along with an assortment of storage areas
- Roomy center console that comes standard
- Under-seat storage for the rear seats
- Dual Firmness foam in the seats
- Rugged and luxurious cloths and leathers for seating material
Comparing to the last generation Colorado, the interior design takes a big step forward. It borrows styling cues from the 2014 Silverado and Sierra, and presents new features and improved quality that new truck buyers have come to expect.
The cabin of the 2015 Colorado showcases many elements of innovation in technology, security and control.
- 8-inch color touch screen (LT,Z71)
- 3.4 inch Driver Information Center color screen in the gauge cluster
- Satellite Navigation available
- OnStar and MyLink sytems with natural voice and gesture recognition
- Several USB ports
- Six airbags Standard
- Rear vision backup camera standard
- Forward Collision Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- StabiliTrak (Electronic stability control system)
- Trailer sway control, Hill start assist, Hill descent control (Z71)
These technology options make the 2015 Colorado safer, easier to use, more capable, and more fun.
There is also many different ways an owner of the new Colorado can setup their vehicle.
- 2.5L four cylinder estimated at 193 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque
- 3.6L six cylinder estimated at 302 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque
- 2.8L Duramax Turbo Diesel (Not available until the second model year, ratings have not been released by GM yet)
- Six speed automatic transmission
- Six speed manual transmission (Only available on the 2.5L equipped 2WD Extended Cab models)
- Extended Cab with a 6 foot bed
- Crew Cab with a 5 or 6 foot bed
The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado provides customers with a wide variety of options and configurations that really bring this next generation pickup into the modern arena. GM hopes to gain a large chunk of the mid-sized pickup market back from the currently Toyota/Nissan dominated segment. With this updated and refined Colorado (and eventually its counterpart, the GMC Canyon) GM will definitely heat up the competition for truck buyers across America.
Check out this insider TFLtruck video of the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado reveal from 2013 LA Auto Show: