Please consider registering

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Old vs. New: 2014 Ford Raptor vs. 1985 Chevy K10 vs. Gold Mine Hill Off-road Review [Video]
Read the original blog post
RSS
Andre Smirnov
460 Posts
(Offline)
December 25, 2016 - 11:13 pm

This "Old vs. New" episode is all about having a good time on the off-road trail. The 1985 Chevy K10 is a new addition to our long term fleet, the 2014 Ford Raptor has been our shop truck for three years.

This snowy Gold Mine Hill off-road review is one big versus mashup. It's father vs. son (Roman vs. Tommy). It's Ford vs. Chevy. It's newish BFGoodrich T/A KO2 35-inch tires on the Raptor vs. newish Mickey Thompson 35-inch tires on the K10. It's solid axles on the Chevy vs. independent front and a rear locker on the Raptor. Plus there is a surprise that Nathan and Andre have in store.

The 1985 Chevy K10 is powered by a 305 cu-in V8 which produces 160 horsepower and 235 lb-ft of torque when it was new (engine codename: LE9). This 5-liter Chevy is backed up by a 4-speed manual transmission, with the first gear being a low "granny" gear. The 6.2-liter V8 in the 2014 Ford Raptor is good for 411 horsepower and 434 lb-ft of torque. This modern beast is backed up by a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Roman is driving the Raptor, and Tommy is driving the K10. Who will concur the Gold Mine Hill trail in the snow? Who will get stuck? Who will need winching?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

Watch all the drama below!

- Andre : TFLtruck.com

barlowdoc
3 Posts
(Offline)
December 27, 2016 - 3:50 pm

Hello Andre, After watching this latest video with Big Green vs Raptor, I think this opens up the discussion of which tires are best for our trucks. In my experience with BFGoodrich T/As they do perform poorly on snow and at cold temperatures. I recently replaced (not quick enough!) my Firestone tires on my 2014 Ram 2500 Limited (6.4 hemi, factor rear-end air suspension with 4:10 gears). My replacement tires are a set of the new Falken WildPeak A/T3W. I live in Alberta so I'm very familiar with your weather and altitude conditions. Many viewers may be interested in a HD tire test/review involving a 4 season (mountain peak rated tire) tire. Keep up the good work!

nonrev59
6 Posts
(Offline)
December 27, 2016 - 6:27 pm

Wonder if the new Raptor would fair any better. Hard to beat Big Green.

KansasGM
184 Posts
(Offline)
December 27, 2016 - 8:09 pm

I think big green made it simply because he had momentum and there raptor didn't

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Z71 Duramax Extended Cab

nonrev59
6 Posts
(Offline)
December 28, 2016 - 7:22 am

That sures makes a difference. Believe Roman said he was in 4H too. Not sure 4L would have made a big difference. But like you said to get some speed up that hill 4H is the right range. But since he was crawling up hill and slid over, that did him in. 

gemstate
1 Posts
(Offline)
January 11, 2017 - 1:05 pm

This one is all about the momentum as KansasGM suggested. As for the BFG AT's not being good in snow I think they are killer on packed snow surfaces. In deep snow (8"+) they do tend to pack the tread and loose traction. Working in North Dakota the last 7 years where the roads can be snow and ice packed for 4 to 5 months I can tell you from experience the BFG performs well. The last set of mud tread tires were not nearly as good in the packed snow and ice. The reference to using 4L was interesting to me. I was always taught that 4L in deep snow on an incline was not the way to go. It was explained to me that the additional torque from the gearing in 4L would cause the tires to break free and loose traction more easily. The old man said 4H and a little momentum was the answer. Any thoughts on that scenario?

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Andre Smirnov
Brian Waring
Derek Mau
John Inama
Nathan Adlen
Roman Mica

Top Posters:

Fleetguy: 187

KansasGM: 184