• Watch Out for the 2018 Ford F-150 FX4 Police Responder Truck (News)

fx4 4x4 2018 ford f150 police responder truck pickup
    2018 Ford F-150 FX4 police responder

The 2018 Ford F-150 FX4 is the latest in police pursuit rated vehicles from Ford. What does it mean for a truck or car to be “pursuit rated”? Major police departments from around the country perform a series of grueling tests in order to certify a truck or a car with a pursuit rating. The testing includes acceleration, braking, track testing, and much more.

2018 Ford F-150 Police Responder

The 2018 F-150 Police Responder is based on the new F150 with the FX4 off-road package. The truck is equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 turbocharged engine and a 10-speed automatic transmission. The engine is rated at 375 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque.

Ford says – the police responder version of the F150 FX4 has police-calibrated braking system, an upgraded front stabilizer bar, police service ready rugged interior, and underbody skid plates. The police version of the F-150 is rated at towing a maximum of 7,000 lbs.

Here is a Ford F-150 FX4 on a Texas off-road trail.

Here are all of the details on the 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid police responder, which is also a pursuit rated vehicle.

Andre Smirnov
    Andre Smirnov
    Andre Smirnov is an Automotive Enthusiast, Producer, Reviewer, Videographer, Writer, Software Engineer, Husband, Father, and Friend.

Similar Articles

119 thoughts on “Watch Out for the 2018 Ford F-150 FX4 Police Responder Truck (News)

1. It has enough cup holders and flat center console for donuts, so it qualified .
      It’s afraid to cross that creek, that’s only what bad guys needs to know.

1. no, you can’t out run the radio. That 6.2 could be in a camaro, don’t think the truck top speed is Going to keep up

1. Canoe, the radio is one of their biggest tools now. High speed pursuits are rarely performed now due to the safety of others. The speeding bad guys have no regard for others and don’t care what they do to try and get away. Between the radio and air pursuit, high speed chases are pretty rare. At least based on what I was told. But it seems logical. Even if the officer is in a V8 charger, he has no chance catching up to a Camaro or Mustang.

2. yeah a few years ago a 22 year-old wrapped his car around a tree because police chased. estimated speed was 110 mph (in a 25) yeah he didn’t service that one. Lucky there was a tree otherwise it would have been living room around dinner time. That was across the street from the inlaws old house. Officers got their pee-pees slapped on that one. Oh the poor tree didnt make it either

3. Unfortunately there are many stories like that. What starts out as good intentions of getting the bad guy, it goes terribly wrong.

1. is he making fun of cops there? Seems like he is commenting on the great interior for long hours sitting in vechile.

2. Andre – – –

I think this Ford F-150FX4 Responder is just the right vehicle for our polices forces. This has been a quite a time in time coming, and I’m surprised it took so long. Nowadays, a fast, aggressive, tough, spacious, flexible, go-anywhere pickup for cops is a perfect match.

Can it be equipped with some armor plating and bullet-proof glass?

====================

1. Zviera – – –

Is military grade aluminum bullet proof? What about the glass?

=====================

1. Jimmy – – –

Thanks. This link worked; the one further above did not. And this 2nd link certainly answered my 1st question to “Zviera”: YES!

As I have gotten older, I have developed a much greater admiration and respect for our police forces. And I worry about them, their safety, and their families. In my small city, “Protect and Serve” really mean something. I have seen our cops confront situations which could have escalated into tragedy for everyone; and yet those amazing men and women just skillfully scaled it on down in ways I will never be able to understand. My hat is off to them. So, yes, I am excited about this F-150 Responder, even if it means my taxes go up!
            BTW: They are not “THEM” after all; they are US.

==================

1. They are getting paid well,have great retirement soon and it’s their job they chose to do.
              Almost any job is more stressful and dangerous than policeman.

2. Your still a moron zombiera, law enforcement does not get paid nearly enough for the risk they take and the situations they put themselves in. Yes they choose that career path but it is usually because they want to help others. Not get shot at because they have a uniform or some low life come up and shoot them while they pump their gas. You need to show more respect zombiera.

3. I respect them. I don’t have to show respect. I respect any hard working people. Don’t be a dramatic. Their fatal rate of 13.5 per 100,000 is not even in the first ten most dangerous jobs.

4. Don’t pretend you are a nice person. Just look at what you reply to my posts all the time All1. You call me a names , just because we discuss brand you hate. You wanted to drag me across Canada with your RAM 3500.
              You are that low life you mentioned, who wouldn’t hesitate to shoot someone,when arguing about a stupid truck.
              Thanks God the police drive Ford, because if they drive RAM, you couldn’t take it.

5. You hit the nail on the head, your post only. Because your a pompous dolt. It looks like I’m not the only one either that thinks this way. You said all1 will drag you across canada? I don’t live in Canada but it would be fun. Since you”drive ram with hemi” the only thing I need to drag that crap truck of yours is a self propelled lawn mower. And your comment about shooting people is just idiotic. But that is what you are so not unexpected. Why don’t you stay at putc.

6. Yes All1. All1 doesn’t live in Canada.
              You hate me, because you proved me wrong ? Right.

7. What? Do you want a hugging moment? No body likes you because your a tool bag. You spread false propaganda and lie. You cannot be trusted at all. Your a liar.

8. Lol, maybe if I was into fat old guys. I still like hot girls. I’m sure zombiera identifies as a woman though.👩🏻‍🌾

3. Living up here in nd I’ve seen the border patrol using raptors. Lot of dot’s are starting to go to pick up’s on the simple fact they can carry a lot of crap for cmv inspections. In nd they are using f-250s in cmv inspections. Lot sheriff’s using pick ups for mounted patrols. Towing horse trailers. So it is possible that law enforcement out here maybe killing two birds with one stone. So no real surprises here.

1. It’s a very dangerous and stressful job when they need to wear bullet proof gear and carry a weapon for protection. How can you see otherwise?

2. He is a pure idiot. Unless you drive “fiat with hemi” you don’t get any respect from that moron. Now he is on here insulting police saying their job is not dangerous, says they just eat donuts, and he has no respect for law enforcement. He needs to go.

3. I didn’t say any of it. I have no respect for Ford.
              Why don’t you stay insulting people on PUTC under your nick name All#1?

4. Your a liar zombiera

Zviera
              July 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm
              It has enough cup holders and flat center console for donuts

Zviera
              July 20, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Almost any job is more stressful and dangerous than policeman.

Zviera
              July 21, 2017 at 6:44 am

5. @All1
              “Now he is on here insulting police saying their job is not dangerous, says they just eat donuts, and he has no respect for law enforcement. ”

I didn’t say their ob is not dangerous. Their fatal rate of 13.5 per 100,000 is not even in the first ten most dangerous jobs.
              I didn’t say,they just eat donuts.
              I didn’t say I have no respect for law enforcement.
              I said I respect them.

You have a problem All1. I would’t want to be at the gas station filling up my RAM with you behind me.

6. Let recap

Zviera
              July 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm
              It has enough cup holders and flat center console for donuts

Zviera
              July 20, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Almost any job is more stressful and dangerous than policeman.

Zviera
              July 21, 2017 at 6:44 am

7. So you left out all the key thing I said and you want to recap ? You should be banned, because of trolling constantly All1.

Zviera
              July 21, 2017 at 6:44 am

I respect them.

8. And the whole story

Let recap

Zviera
              July 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm
              It has enough cup holders and flat center console for donuts

Zviera
              July 20, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Almost any job is more stressful and dangerous than policeman.

Zviera
              July 21, 2017 at 6:44 am

1. Oh great, here comes out all the TFL Ford owners that can’t handle any critique because they emotionally identify with their trucks. Have you noticed so many people who own Ford are just like Fords? Skin deep. Fords have great sheet metal. But under that metal, they just are not as enduring and intelligent.

1. Jimmy Johns, I have never taken any kind of drug including alcohol or tobacco. Let’s hear about your drug history. That might explain why you make ad-hominem arguments and have a difficult time synthesizing others’ arguments.
            And I regard myself pretty dumb. But this site just makes me feel so smart.

1. Sorry jay but you make no sense. You claimed to have read what was posted here yet there is nothing on this article to even remotely back up your statement. Or are you a antiFord loser troll like zombiera and just bash without nothing to back it up. I await for your reply.

2. Have all the drugs tampered with your memory. I have left plenty of evidence along the way for many weeks now. But you have never refuted that evidence. So the burden of proof is on you to prove that Ford trucks are more intelligent and smarter built and
              their drivetrain last longer.

3. Jay, here are your exact words:

Jay S.
              July 21, 2017 at 8:12 am

Now back up your statement where this has occurred in this thread.

4. And you didn’t even answer my question about your drug history after accusing me.

Your answer is in your own post jay. You clearly are “seeing” things that are not there. Not having a drug history enables a person to identify that.

5. So you admit your an antiFord troll and just spurt out garbage with nothing to back it up. Thanks for playing jay.

6. That’s ok, fiat used the defective airbags till mid 2016. Per the article:
              The automaker also was spotlighted in a New York Times story on June 1 as one of four automakers still selling new cars and trucks with Takata air bag inflators that NHTSA has said are defective

And

These customers will also be advised that the vehicles will be recalled in the future. They are not currently subject to recall,” FCA said in a statement

GM did the same thing zombiera

Don’t worry, what ever you do I can do better.

7. That’s ok, fiat used the defective airbags till mid 2016. Per the article:

And

8. That’s not the same JJ. FCA said, they will recall the new vehicles with those inflators in the future.
              Ford doesn’t want to recall the expired old ones at all.

9. So zombiera, fiat installs known defective parts, still sells them and says they will tell customers that their safety device is defective and may kill you. But don’t worry, we will recall it in a few years? However fiat has a long history of not recalling defective vehicles, hides injury and death data from their defects, cheats sales data, cheats diesel emissions. Ya, real upstanding company to rely on.

10. Inflators are not defective,when new and on the install. They get defective after a years in humid environment with moisture. FCA inflators are safe, when new and FCA says, they will replace them in the future. Ford doesn’t want to make a recall for 2.5 million vehicles and replace old defective inflators in 2007-11 Ranger, 2006-12 Fusion and Lincoln MKZ, 2006-2011 Mercury Milan and 2007-10 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX.
              That’s a huge difference between FCA and Ford.

Is it clear enough for you?

11. That’s even worse. They are defective from the start. They know it. They know they will go bad. They install air bags they know WILL go bad. It is nothing like Ford and GM that are looking for further test. Fiat knows they are bad and installs them anyways. A reckless company with long history of putting peoples lives in danger.

12. Is it worse to drive with new inflators without any damage or danger than with defective old one and hear from Ford, they are not going to recall them ?
              Wow. You really are Ford sucker doesn’t matter what.
              You deserve to drive that defective inflator.

13. And this is why your always wrong zombiera. You never really read anything. You make false or stupid statements. Fords response is :

Ford spokesman John Cangany said the automaker will file a petition requesting “to continue testing and analyzing our inflators.” NHTSA said the petition will seek an exemption from the recall because Ford believes the issue is inconsequential.

they are doing the exact same thing as GM. They want to conduct internal testing first. fiat never did any internal testing. They just threw the known defective air bags in. Fiat has a history of not recalling when they need to. You cannot say that about Ford because YOU always bring up Ford and recalls. Funny how that works, eh?

2. JJ ,you make some good comments every now and than, but your taking it far this time your ruining tfl with your defensive comments. Your to thin skinned,who cares if people dont agree with you ,get over it dude,relax let people comment and move on..✌

1. Just don’t reply to my post and everything will be just fine. That’s easier solution and it will save you a keyboard. This is not a Ford web site, or forum.
              Thanks TFL for that.

2. Why do you come here? You have no valid points. In fact I have never seen anything of value from you. Your a fiat troll.

3. No smarter than you. I know what buttons of yours I can push. You are a simple mind that is easy to toy with.

1. @Jay S.
          That’s exactly right observation I noticed a long time ago and they ruined another forum because of that. Personal attacks and name calling , because of emotionally identifying with stupid truck brand.

4. I think there may be some exceptional cases where a department and the taxpayer would be best served by a pickup truck police vehicle. Mostly, however, they don’t need them. Compared to a sedan they are much more expensive and achieve worse fuel economy. I’m sure most all cops would prefer to drive Tahoe cruisers all day since they are roomy, sit up, and have good V8 power…but the Tahoe is the most expensive and most fuel thirsty police vehicle on the market right now. Good police departments buy the vehicle that will handle all the department’s needs at the lowest cost to the taxpayer.

I can see where the Explorer is the best selling police vehicle right now. It is only slightly more expensive and slightly more thirsty than a standard police sedan, but offers more room, better visibility, higher payload, standard AWD, and modest off-road and towing capability. In reality, the cargo area behind the Explorer’s second row seat holds nearly as much as the short bed of this F-150 police pickup.

5. Trivia: Number One favorite police cruiser of all time, as voted in by the NAPO, is……..

1979 Dodge St. Regis

6. Well its not bullet proof but it has the best engine which is what they need the most. That low end torque with the added weight will still do really well

The off road video Andre, again you mentioned the air dam and for what should be an off road ready package I have a hard time with the ignorance behind the manufacturers on this. Seems Toyota and Ram are the only ones in the 1/2 ton segment that have the common sense to provide a real off road ready truck. I would like to know however why the Ford manual states to remove another bracket when off roading along with the air dam on the 3.5’s and 2.7 but the 5.0 does not have this bracket. Why? I think I can see that bracket at 1:19 in the F150 video you re-posted. Hopefully you guys can report on this at some point in time to inform your viewers. This is written right in the Ford manual. Thought it was a good question for a truck and off road content worthy.

1. Yeah these front air dams are a complete joke. They kill your approach angle and drag over everything. No one has them as attached and low as GM though. You will just about rip your front end off before that thing budges on a GM. The Ford air dam is generally flexible but they shouldn’t be there on any 4WD.

1. I still want to know what the hell this dam bracket is that the Ford manual says to remove when you go off roading with their FX4 package. Only the V8 is excempt. Am I the only one aware of this stupidity. Why has this not been explained on any review of the F150. No off road review will explain this , yet it is in the Ford F150 manual. Someone needs to drag the white coats by the ear and rub their nose on this thing and slap them.

1. If you give me a day or so I may be able to find out. I’m not sure what that bracket is you are talking about but I assume it may have something to do with the intercooler. Those air dams are dumb but manufacturers get just a fraction mpg better with them so they do.

2. Look under 2017 F150 in the “Four Wheel Drive” Page 196 Pasted below is what it says word for word, dumbest sht ever. This is worse than Hub Locks. LETS GO OFFROADING IN MY OFF ROAD PACKAGE!!!! Just wait a few hours while I remove my brackets near the tranny and the air dam 🙁

“Note: Your vehicle may be equipped with
              a front air dam that can become damaged
              (due to reduced ground clearance) when
              taking your vehicle off-road. You may
              remove this air dam by removing eight bolts.
              Note: Vehicles equipped with 2.7L
              Ecoboost, 3.5L Ecoboost and 3.5L TiVCT
              engines have an underbody transmission
              shield and brackets that may become
              damaged (due to reduced ground
              clearance) when taking your vehicle
              off-road. Remove the shield by disengaging
              the fasteners at each corner of the shield.
              Then, remove the shield rear brackets by
              removing the bracket to frame bolts.
              Four-wheel drive vehicles are specially”

1. Making fun of Ford. Never of cops . I respect them.
        Actually, I can make fun of anyone I want. Take it like a man and stop crying ford horde.

1. Funny how you thought he was talking about you. I wonder why that is:

Zviera
          July 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm
          It has enough cup holders and flat center console for donuts, so it qualified .

1. Because I am from RAM horde and I admit that.
            I didn’t post on PUTC for a few month though and I was reading TFL before PUTC.

7. Jimmy Johns Many police officers eat donuts, its a staple food to be at in a coffee shop. And coffee shops and government jobs go together like diesels and tow trucks. So its not that offensive unless you hug trees….if you will.

Now your arguement has me looking up dangerous jobs and Zviera although right could have put it easier; cops are in 16th place regarding dangerous jobs. Fisherman are first place and I like my Tuna, I drove truck and hauled goods and that was 11th, loggers, air pilots, roofers, contruction works, taxi drivers, basically all of us are at risk, just as much or more than a police officer by statistical data, I engineer now but I am in the mines inspecting the worst steel in the worst areas and miners are at an even greater risk. Police need to be respected in order to maintain civility but we are all in just as much danger in our every day jobs.

1. That data is also from 2011. I read a report that looked similar too but they outlined that the actual numbers of deaths should be looked at. Because some of those jobs have far less workers. If you want to put it in a matrix that is how it comes out. Like your list.

1. Not my list but it is per 100,000 workers so it is all equal stats. Im sure there is more but im done. If I dont get my Tuna I get angry and the police may show up at that point. Just trying to give everyone the respect they deserve for the work they do. It is not just police at risk everyday. I need to eat.

1. I also make it a habit to not make fun of people’s jobs. Especially the ones that can put their life in danger for our life. People like zombriera is a selfish sob and has no respect for anything. He will be the first pussy to call an officer when he is in trouble even though he makes fun of them.. plain and simple.

2. In fact zombiera, what is your address. I will pay for your airfare to get lippy with one of our state highway patrolman. See how you fare with our “donut eating” police officers. Shouldn’t be to hard for you right. Even though they train using military formats.

1. Honestly, you would be in jail already, when posting stuff like this in Canada.
              Who do you think you are ?

2. Its the fake news media that messes with our dumb heads. If you accept that your just a dumb pion like me you can catch on to a lot more BS that floats around in the world. When that last time we heard a logger killed a a drowned fisherman. The gun fights sell media blitz, hence the BS. I appreciate my 2×4’s a Tuna a whole lot more today but I still appreciate the police, the more donuts they eat the more jobs they give to coffee shop workers. Mmmm Tuna and Donuts, im going to try that.

1. The media plays a huge part in what we here but we also hear and know things through our own occupations to.

1. Jimmy I need you to focus that energy into hatred for low hanging air dams and why we have no turbo V8’s in midsize trucks. Maybe once the police wreck a few front bumpers and tear off those air dams, the police will lock these SOB’s up for good and throw away they key and we will have real trucks again. Just think of Zviera as a low hanging air dam for starters.

2. So Zman is the reason all those women in their Subarus can park over the curb in Starbucks and I can’t? LOL

3. Lol, turbo V8’s definitely get me going. Ever seen a turboed coyote. Oh baby. Played with a turboed terminator and it was a whole lot of fun.

4. Oh I have been there for years. I love anything turbo charged though. Out of all the vehicles I have owned, the majority have been forced inductioned. Love me some hairdryer action.

2. Exactly. I respect and value all the hard working people, especially most dangerous jobs they do, to feed their families.
            That was only my point.

8. Nothing to do with this truck but recently the Mustang was looked at for Highway Patrol duties in Australia to replace the pursuit turbo 6 and V8Falcons and V8 Commodores (sold in the US as a Buick l think); unfortunately it failed in many areas such as brakes, overheating transmissions and not least it only rated 2 stars out of 5 for occupant safety after failing several test crashes. The Chrysler SRT is being trialled but heard its handling is not up to specs. Its a huge market here so lm suprised Ford and GM(Holden) haven’t tried to get in on the act.

1. David, did the manufacturers spec out an interceptor version of those test vehicles? At least in the states, interceptor versions have much larger coolers for engine oil, Trans fluid, and engine coolant. Brakes are usually different too. They beef up those areas due to the expected life they are to live. If they take stock vehicles off the show room floor, I would expect issues for that kind of life.

9. I would love the option to buy a police prep package on a personal use truck- some uprated hardware, plus XLT bench w/o center section and XL rear bench would be perfect for family use. I hope they fixed the extended idle problems the Ecoboost was having in the Taurus.

10. The Taurus Interceptor is designed to be able to hop an 8″ curb at speed without damage. I’m imagining the low hanging air dam is not going to be a problem.

11. A lot of the local law enforcement in my area(semi-rural Utah) are driving F150s. I think most I see are 2011-2014 5.0’s.